Monday, August 23, 2010

Bishnu Yoga Teacher Training Course

A few people have been asking me about the Yoga teacher training course I recently finished. It lasted from October 2009 to June 2010. The studio is Hot Yoga Challege at 720 Spadina Ave at Bloor St. W. The website is www.hotyoga.ca. This is the first Bikram yoga studio in Canada but as of 2008 (roughly) they cut ties with Bikram for reasons that deserve another blog post.

[Guru at work]

I would say it's a decent teacher training course. I had a full time job, a contract on the side and a baby on the way at the same time. So I had trouble memorizing the script on time. Usually about 4 postures per week had to be memorized and recital tested every Saturday. Aranka is strict but was quite forgiving and very patient with me. Still the pressure from Aranka was stressful on me. I liked Sasha more when he was lecturing or testing us. Although he was strict in other ways, there was a level of wisdom about him that I appreciated.
Aranka taught us some other yoga as well including videotaped lectures on Yin Yoga and chakra meditation. I still do chakra meditation now as it helps me to de-stress and recharge. There was never any lack of material to learn that's for sure.
Internship is part of the course so I taught about 10 classes at the end. It did help me gain confidence with speaking in front of an audience. Now I just don't have time to do it. But my goal wasn't necessarily to teach. More to become a better student.

Hope that helps you decide if you want to take this course. Best wishes. Namaste.

1 comment:

Yogaranka said...

I'm glad you liked your experience. Sorry if I stressed you out. You did catch up so nicely with the help of some good trainee friends and my 'strictness', so I hope you forgive for the hardship.

All the best,

Aranka