Monday, September 11, 2006



In other news me and Anna went to the AGO to check out some much needed contemporary art: the Andy Warhol exhibition titled "Stars, Deaths and Disasters, 1962–1964", guest-curated by that famed film director David Cronenberg. I think that means he narrated the audio guide.

Now i've heard about Andy Warhol before and seen some of his work in a few art books. After having seen this particular installation, I have to say that I was expecting a lot better. I left the gallery half-wanting to see more, which is good and bad. Good because I guess I took something away from this. Bad because the installation was quite small: about 19 pieces with audio commentary and perhaps another dozen without any commentary. Anyhow, I've certainly learnt a lot about Andy and his obsession with found-art

One work in particular that I enjoyed -- and indeed it appeared popular with the rest of the art going public -- was titled "The Couch". Basically he had a couch at his "factory" (a studio which in itself is a work of art) with a film camera pointed at it. Various persona would appear at or around this couch and perform random performance art. There were quite a lot of scenes which would not at all qualify for a family audience. Nudity was just the beginning.

No comments: